A stye is a condition in which the oil gland located on the edge of the eyelid becomes infected and it swells up. It can also grow inside or outside the eyelid. Basically, it resembles like a pimple. In medical terminology, a stye is known as “Hordeolum.” A stye can occur at any age. At first a minor discomfort is felt over the area. If the stye grows in size it may impair the vision and cause discomfort. Under such conditions, patient must see a doctor.
Signs and symptoms of a stye:
In the beginning a small pimple is formed that is usually pain-free but later on this is followed by the following symptoms:
- Swollen eyes
- Watery eyes
- Burning sensation
Reasons for stye formation:
There are just two main reasons of stye formation:
- There is a bacterium known as staphylococcal that is the causative agent of stye. This bacterium resides in nose which can be transferred to your eyes when you first rub your nose and then your eyes without washing your hands.
- The other reason is the swelling of oil gland located on the edge of the eyelid.
These styes are contagious and can be transferred to others easily so keep your hands and eyes clean all the time and do not share your towel, pillows and bed sheets with others. In this way you can easily avoid the threat.
Treatment of stye:
Below mentioned are the various ways to get rid of a stye.
- Gently scrub the eyelid with Luke warm water, non-irritating soap, and baby shampoo this procedure helps with drainage of a stye. Close your eyes while doing this.
- Warm compass method:
Warm compass is one of the effective methods to get rid of stye. In this method a warm compass that is generally a piece of cloth that is warmed with hot water, is applied over the affected area for about ten to twenty minutes. This process is repeated for days till the stye dries up or releases the pus. Basically, the warmth of the cloth results in the rupture of a stye that ultimately releases the pus. After this, the signs and symptoms fade away. The area around the eye should be kept clean all the time to avoid it from stye formation. This is the best way of getting rid of a stye.
Certain antibiotics are prescribed to patients that have multiple styes. In situation, when a bacterium is the reason behind stye formation, these antibiotics help to kill the bacteria. These antibiotics can be oral or topical that helps to get rid of a stye. Certain creams are also available in the market. However; no medication should be taken without the doctor’s prescription.
- Pain killers:
Certain painkillers are also given in the situation when stye is painful. This helps to relieve the pain caused by a stye.
- Eye drops:
Certain eye drops are available in the market that surely is the best way to get rid of a stye. These eye drops enhance the body’s natural ability to relieve the signs and symptoms caused by a stye. This includes redness, tearing, and burning. All these medications are taken under the supervision of a doctor.
However in many situations a stye get better without any proper treatment.
However, when the medications fail to treat a stye, then your doctor or ophthalmologist suggests you for a surgery. In such conditions, the styes are internal and are usually large and painful than usual. Under such conditions, doctor suggests surgery.
- During the surgery, the ophthalmologist makes a small cut on the inside or outside of your eyelid depending upon the location of your stye. Once, the cut is made, the ophthalmologist drains the pus out from the oil gland. This is a minor surgery that can be performed on the same day of your visit. In the case of children, anesthesia is suggested. After the surgery, appointment is usually recommended to ensure the complete removal of stye.
Stye can lead to skin cancer:
In certain situations, a stye can lead to skin cancer for this getting rid of a stye on time is necessary. Under such circumstances, ophthalmologist performs biopsy in which the tissue is extracted from a stye and it is sent to the laboratory for further examination. This examination checks and ensures that the stye is not a form of skin cancer.
Never lance a stye. As it releases the pus which is contagious and it can spread to the surrounding parts and can cause certain other harmful infections.
Under certain situation the stye can get worse;
Following guidelines should be kept in mind to avoid from stye.
- Your hands and face should be cleaned properly and free from dust and germs.
- Every morning, try to apply warm piece of cloth on your eyelid for about 2-3 minutes. This will decrease the reoccurrence of a stye by liquefying the oil glands and thus prevents the blockage of the gland.
- Do not use contact lenses frequently.
- All the cosmetic products and tools should be sterile.
- Makeup is one of the main reasons to develop infections. Do not share your personal makeup with anyone else. As it increases the chances of contamination.
- Makeup should be thrown away when it becomes old or contaminated.
- After applying, keep you cosmetic in air tight box to prevent it from microbial contamination.
- In case, if you developed a stye stop using eye makeup immediately.
- Do not share your towel with anyone else.
- Stop using makeup of poor quality.
If you follow these simple and easy tips you will never develop a stye because a stye develops only under unhygienic conditions. Always rely on medical advice and do not believe on unproven home remedies. If you follow the tips mentioned above, you will not become prone to such infections and you will remain healthy and enjoy your life to the fullest.